Wednesday 14 September 2016

theologian on holiday

what do lecturers do during holidays?

this week the Kalk Bay Bible Institute is on holiday, so I get to ... renew our car licence...apply for a renewal of my driver's licence...and read a book by Mercy Amba Oduyoye, a Ghanaian Feminist theologian. I can deeply recommend it: Hearing & Knowing - theological reflections on Christianity in Africa

I am teaching a third year course at the Bible Institute this semester - Mission to and from Africa, and whenever I teach it I always feel privileged to be pushed deeper into the thoughts and concerns of Christians from different corners of this continent.

My class is small (only half a dozen), but highly engaged in the work We have had a little interpersonal friction as I have looked at some of the terrible things that have happened in the name of Christianity in the past. But I think that my project to push my students to think deeply about mission is working. I feel very diffident about teaching this subject, given my own personal history and invovement in Africa, but God seems to use the material to stretch minds and promote his kingdom. So overall I am very happy

No comments:

Post a Comment