Wednesday 17 August 2011

the Francis principle ...

I was chatting to someone a few weeks ago about relating to people who don't know Jesus yet, especially people of other faiths.  He said:  "Well, you know, St Francis of Assisi said, 'always preach the gospel, when necessary use words.'  I can live with that."

I wonder how many time I have heard this quotation? 
(Incidentally it appears in slightly different forms on different quotation websites, sometimes several forms on the same site.  However the meaning is as above!)
It is nearly always in the context of explaining why one shouldn't really be talking about Jesus with people, but granting that there may be situations in which one absolutely has to say something.  I usually feel rather as it I have been reprimanded for wanting to speak about Jesus. 

On Saturday I was reading the Bible (Luke) an became overwhelmed by how amazing Jesus is.  As I experienced the thrill of his love I was so aware of people for whom he is still a stranger.  How exciting to talk about him; I felt a sense of overflowing.  I thought: I should be so eager to praise Jesus to other people, that the only thing that can stop me speaking is an instantaneous conviction that in a particular situation I need to be quiet.  I should be always seaching for the opening to point to Jesus.
This is the most magical book
about a beautiful person.

So, what about Francis?  But, then my conversation companions often don't know very much about Francis, who was an amazing person and really worth knowing a lot about.  For one thing, he said quite a lot; for example:

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.
and
While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart. 
and the famous
Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.
There is much more, that is truly worthwhile to invite one deeper into the spiritual journey.

There is more that my companions are neglecting.  When Francis spoke his gentle sayings, he was speaking as one who travelled extensively, with the express purpose of preaching, of speaking about Jesus.  In fact he travelled to Egypt specifically to speak with the sultan about following Jesus; those who were part of the Little Brothers were encouraged to learn the languages of countries where Jesus was not known, in order to communicate more deeply when talking about Jesus. 

In fact words of Jesus from Matthew 10:7-10 were a key part of his conversion.  The first sentence is:  "As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.'"  Francis was a wonderfully humble and gently charming man; he loved solitude in nature, however, most of his life was spent living, helping and preaching in the teeming and poverty-ridden cities of his time.  His experience of Jesus was so profound, and so continuous that he lived intensely to share the life of Jesus with others.

So, in spite of the many who try to use Francis to argue against telling people about Jesus, I find him a forceful inspiration for seeking to know Jesus more and in the privilege of that hourly experience to delight in serving people who haven't begun the journey yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment