Thursday 28 March 2013

A Lonely Jesus on Palm Sunday?



This post comes with a thank you, a grateful thank you, to all those who pray for us and donate funds towards our cause.  We don’t know exactly everybody who prays and gives.  A large anonymous donation came through yesterday, for instance.  And we are often surprised to find faithful intercessors who are praying that we should “preach the gospel clearly, as we should” (to paraphrase Paul!)  Whatever your contribution, it costs you sacrificially in terms of time and money, and for that we are grateful.  And all those lost and lonely people out there who do not even realise what is being given on their account, they too will be grateful!

I preached on Palm Sunday again this year – that makes three years in a row!  Reviewing my past sermons I am amazed at how a close reading of the text generates new insights every time!

After preaching (At Church Street Methodist – the oldest Methodist Church in Cape Town!) I went outside and crossed the road and painted the church, along with a “lonely Jesus”. It was a lovely three hours in the blustery South Easter.  I had to literally tie by canvass to my easel, and tie my easel to the railings around a municipal tree!

I spoke to many people. A rasta man who wanted to convert me to believing Jesus had returned in Hailey Selassie. I had to say that I, for one, am still waiting for Jesus’ return. Several street people (“Hey!  You’re telling lies!  There’s no horse on that pavement!”).  A Soldier’s wife and two kids carting two unwieldy pieces of Styrofoam to make a welcome home sign for when their dad returns from deployment (in the CAR, I wonder?). Numerous children and a mother who says she is going to send her son to see me because he is such a good artist.  

 It was great to be able to continue my sermon out in the streets – Jesus is coming into our lives: will we accept him or reject him?

No comments:

Post a Comment