Saturday 21 June 2014

tentmaking by television

One of the strategies we have in place to make ends meet is that I have joined an agency called "My Friend Ned"; and I get the occasional role in advertising or film.  Very small roles, but with disproportionately large payouts.  For my theological teaching I either get nothing, or between R25 and R100 per hour.  For just being the right sort of hairy face I can sometimes get as much as R500 an hour

I go to several castings every year, and typically get one or two gigs per year: so it is not a major plank in our overall income.  Part of my way of communicating Jesus in this context is that I refuse to even cast for drink/alcohol/other harmful stuff.  Only things I would be happy to buy myself. That cuts down my opportunities. And then I can't take work that clashes with my core business of teaching and evangelism. But it is a lot of fun, and I am slowly getting to know the photographers and casting agents.


Today I did a casting for the role of "a teacher" in a deodorant advert..will I get it?  Perhaps.  Then next week I will get a call back. In the meantime I just get on with life



 this is one of the opposition!.  May the most teacherly man win!

No comments:

Post a Comment