Friday 6 June 2014

ornaments and superfluities?

My studies require me to re-read John Wesley's Journals.  I am currently half way through the second volume (of four), and I realise the power of journaling almost every time I open the battered red volumes.  Wesley's Journals are the equivalent of a blog from the 1700s, and they make quite compelling reading

Today I came across this thought-provoking passage:

Thursday February 8 1753: "In the afternoon I visited many of the sick; but such scenes, who could see unmoved?...I found some in their cells under ground; others in their garrets, half starved both with cold and hunger, added to weakness and pain.  But I found not one of them unemployed, who was able to crawl about the room.  So wickedly, devilishly false is that common objection: 'They are poor because they are idle'.  If you saw these things with your own eyes, could you lay out money in ornaments or superfluities?" [2:246]

No comments:

Post a Comment