Wednesday 5 September 2018

Forging ahead with mobilizing the Methodist Church

There were three reasons I went through my recently completed research project on Evangelism in the Methodist Church. One was to insert evangelism into the general academic theological discussion. Another was to learn about evangelism: to discuss it more intensely with more people, to read about it more widely, and to think about it more deeply. And the third was to stimulate the Methodist Church - and the church in general - into a more helpful conversation about evangelism.

I can tick the middle one, although I have a lot more work to do. 

Tentative Cover design - just holding the place
With regard to the first one, my former promoter, Johan Cilliers, reckons that I should write and publish six papers a year until I run out of ideas. He would also like me to write and publish a book (he will only do a foreword if I do lots of pictures). He is also fairly keen that I should turn the ideas in my research into a graphic novel. hmmm. I am working on reworking my thesis material into a book and that should be ready for the publishers in, say, two months' time. Whether it will meet the required standards is another issue altogether. And so is whether anybody will ever read it. And so is whether reading the book or papers will amount to anything other than more Christian talk - my deepest desire is for alternatively faithed people to have a reasonable shot at understanding the implications of the Gospel and deciding whether or not to put their faith in Jesus. There is not a direct link between writing and evangelism.




And the third one? Well, I have written to the Bishop reporting that I have finished my studies and am now ready to report to the church. I have not heard back. Now I need to know how much of a squeaky wheel to be. I have also sat down and discussed this with my minister, Dave Howard. He suggests that Claremont Methodist host a seminar based on the material in my study, in a presentation-discussion-feedback format. I have mostly prepared a day's worth of interactive sessions and notes. When that will take place is still to be decided. And whether such reports and seminars will bear any fruit is moot. I have a deep cynicism about the actual motivational value of motivational talks, having been through so many myself... Because my real goal is that people who are distant to God draw near to him through faith in Jesus. Evangelism through local churches should enable that. My input should enable that evangelism. 

Will it? I suppose I can only try.


No comments:

Post a Comment